Common licensing requirements

Most jobs require either formal or informal training. This training is likely to include workplace health and safety specific to the job or the industry. Some jobs require that workers have a license or certificate. For example, you need a licence to use a forklift.

For more information about licensing requirements got to WorkSafe Victoria's Licensing and Registrations web page

This page provides links to the license requirements for high risk work. The information on registrations is primarily an issue for employers and unlikely to directly relate to young workers.

Legal requirements for induction training in the construction industry

Anyone who works in the construction industry, including young workers, must be able to prove that they have undertaken general construction industry induction training. Before July 1 2008 induction training was provided through the "Red Card". From July 1 2008 workers in the construction industry have needed to undertake training at a Registered Training Organisation (TAFE or other registered vocational education and training - VET - organisation) to gain a construction industry induction card (white card). These cards are issued by WorkSafe.

Further details on induction training can be found on the WorkSafe website