Print

Torch flash-back burns T-shirt-clad worker

 

A man suffered burns to his face, arms and legs when he tried to cut a metal pipe with an oxy-torch while wearing shorts and a T-shirt.

A man suffered burns to his face, arms and legs when he tried to cut a metal pipe with an oxy-torch while wearing shorts and a T-shirt.

Paramedics said the 23-year-old man was using the torch to heat a pipe on a refrigerated container at a Port Melbourne business about 10.30am when some oil caught fire.

Intensive care paramedic Rowan Harman said the fire flashed back, causing burns to the man's face, arm and leg. It also singed his eyebrows.

The man was also not wearing protective eyewear.

"His workmates had done the right thing and were running some cool water over the burns before paramedics arrived," Mr Harman said.

"The man wasn't wearing any protective eyewear and only had shorts, T-shirt and runners on. The flash-back was at waist height so he is incredibly lucky not to have suffered more serious injuries."

The man was taken to The Alfred hospital in a stable condition.

From The Age.

Author: SafeWork SA

Tags: User:Teacher;User:Student;Other Industry;Using machinery;Causes of OHS incidents;News items