Print

Firm charged over batts death of teen

 

A QUEENSLAND ceiling insulator has been charged over the death of a teenage worker, who was electrocuted while installing fibreglass batts.

The teen had been working in an electrified roof cavity last November.

Prosecutors will allege that Arrow Property Maintenance failed to provide a safe workplace for the 16-year-old boy, who died on November 18 last year.

The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was killed while insulating a loft at Stanwell, west of Rockhampton.

In a statement yesterday, Queensland's Justice Department said the company had been charged under the Electrical Safety Act "for allegedly failing to conduct its business or undertaking in a way that was electrically safe".

"The company has also been charged under Section 28 of the Workplace Health and Safety Act 1995 for allegedly failing to ensure its workers were protected from falls from height," it said.

The charges follow a months-long investigation by the Electrical Safety Office and Workplace Health and Safety Queensland.

In the statement, the department revealed that in an unrelated matter, it had charged another man, Graham Andrew Hyndman of Caboolture firm Central Insulation Agency, also under the Electrical Safety Act. It is alleged he continued using metal fasteners to install insulation after they were outlawed last year.

The Rudd government's $2.45 billion insulation scheme provided rebates for residents wishing to have ceiling insulation installed in their homes. The scheme was axed after four deaths and more than 100 fires.

The complaints against Arrow Property Maintenance are scheduled for mention in the Rockhampton Industrial Magistrates Court on August 10.

The complaint against Mr Hyndman is scheduled for mention in the Caboolture Industrial Magistrate Court on August 20.

From The Australian.

Author: The Australian

Tags: User:Teacher;User:Student;Construction;Other hazards;Causes of OHS incidents;News items